U12 Finals Match Reports

Doran Oil
Mid U12 Football Group 3 Final 2014

Thurles Gaels 5-14 Moycarkey-Borris (b) 0-01

This group three decider gave Thurles Gaels their first victory at the grade in football as they overpowered Moycarkey-Borris second team in clinical fashion in The Ragg last Saturday morning.
Even enough in the opening exchanges, warning signs began to rise quickly for Moycarkey-Borris as Gales settled into action with Adam Daly chiefly dictating the play. Two points apiece from Steven Carroll and Recce Carroll helped Gaels on their way; Steven’s second in particular being a peach of a point.
David Doyle and Rian Martin at six and three for Moycarkey were working solidly to keep play from going through the centre. Gales though were working the ball down the line via Daly and when he collected a kick out unmarked in the sixth minute he made no mistake in hitting the net for the games opening goal. This was soon followed by another from Jack Murphy whose looping shot dipped under the cross bar.
Doyle was working his socks off for the ‘Borris men and had good assistance in midfield from Ben Ely but they couldn’t break the Gaels rearguard to feed their forwards. Gaels tacked on more points to hold a comfortable 2-12 to no score advantage facing in to the second half wind.
Moycarkey rung the changes at half time which stifled the Gaels momentum somewhat, but not before Liam McCormack had his first of the day when he poached a goal in the second minute.
Moycarkey’s only score came courtesy of a Ben Ely free in the seventh minute of the half as they tried desperately to make inroads into what was becoming an impossible task. Rian Martin now in goal pulled off some excellent saves and with Doyle and Ely still giving their all, they restricted Gaels somewhat for the remainder of the half. That being said Gaels now were going through the motions with Recce Carroll and McCormack prominent all the time, as McCormack and Daly both added a second goal apiece in the last quarter of the match to seal a memorable victory for a well balanced and polished Thurles Gaels side.
This time joint captains Jack Murphy and Henry Fogarty came forward to receive the group 3 cup sponsored by Doran Oil from Joe O’Sullivan, Mid Coiste na nÓg Chairman with Seamus Doran also present.

Thurles Gaels; Eoghan Cleary, Philip Hayes, Mark Martin, Jack Murphy (Joint Capt.) 1-00, Henry Fogarty (Joint Capt.) 02, Recce Carroll 04, Austin Coakley, Adam Daly 2-00, Liam McCormack 2-03, James Fogarty, Tom Reilly, Steven Carroll 04, Shane Turner, Fiachra O’Gorman 01, Jack Keogh.
Moycarkey-Borris (B); Stephen Walsh, Adam Costello, Rian Martin, Joe Maher, Anthony Doyle, David Doyle, John Lanigan, Ben Ely 01f, Kieran Carew (Capt.), Seán Britton, Joey Ryan, Jack Corcoran, Daniel Donnelly, Jack Fitzgerald, Cillian McDonagh.

Referee; Mark Dunne (Moyne-Templetuohy)                 Match Report; Joe Bracken Mid PRO

26 Apr 2014


Murphy Office Supplies
Premier Mini League Hurling Group 3 2013

Holycross-Ballycahill 2-03 Thurles Gaels 0-02

In a low scoring contest Holycross-Ballycahill’s greater size and strength was a huge contributing factor in their victory over a gallant Thurles Gaels side in the final of the group 3 league in the Ragg last Saturday.
Ben Hennessy opened the scoring with a point for Holycross in the second minute and though Gaels worked hard through Jack Murphy and Chris Munroe they couldn’t break down a strong Holycross backline where captain Frank Hanafin gave a terrific display in holding his line, combined with superb catching and striking. Eamon Ryan got a second point for Holycross midway through the half as both sides were still sizing each other up. Munroe working hard on the left made space and directed his shot in to Liam McCormack who pointed with two minutes left. Hennessey had the final saw of the half as he got his second leaving it 03 to 01 at the break.
The second half wasn’t a minute old when Colin Morris got his first of two killer goals, this one coming on receipt of a long Eamon Ryan free in to the Gaels goalmouth, with Morris making no mistake. The game ebbed and flowed but scores were hard to come by. With a little under quarter of the half remaining the game was effectively over when Morris got his second following a scramble in the Gaels goalmouth. True to form though Gaels never stopped trying as McCormack this time turned provider to Munroe as he shot over with only minutes left. In the end however the old cliché of goals win matches rang through as Holycross-Ballycahill took the honours on the day.
As previous, referee Mark Dunne presented the medals to both sets of players as Mid Bórd chairman presented the cup to a worthy Holycross-Ballycahill captain, Frank Hanafin.

Holycross-Ballycahill; Conor Ryan, Frank Hanafin (Capt), Luke Chan, Jamie Lee Dwan, Sam Quinlan, Eamon Ryan 01, Dean O’Brien, Luke Scally, Ben Hennessy 02, Justin Bergin Maher, Tom McGrath, Seán Dwyer, Tom Hynes, Colm Cleary, Colin Morris 2-00, Stephen Quinlan, Shane Ryan, David Fogarty, Toby Lambe.
Thurles Gaels; Ben Buckley, Tom Reilly, Martin Reilly (Capt), Philip Hayes, Jack Murphy, Henry Fogarty, Chris Munroe (Vice Capt) 01, Liam McCormack 01, Mark Murphy, Jim Moloney, James Butler, Adam Daly.

Referee; Mark Dunne – Moyne-Templetuohy                   Match Report By Joe Bracken Mid PRO

Murphy Office Supplies

     Premier U12 Hurling Group 3 2012

                                   Thurles Gaels 3-05 Durlas Óg ‘B’ 3-02

 In what was the first derby final of the year, Thurles Gaels claimed their inaugural hurling title after a three point victory over the Durlas Óg second team in the Murphy Office Supplies sponsored group three final on Premier 12’s day in the Ragg.

Playing into the wind early Gaels intensity resulted with Ronan McGuire rattling the net in the second minute. His collaborator in attack and captain Lauren McCormack pointed straight away to cement the Gaels lead. Durlas Óg responded swiftly and Sean Collins was unlucky not to have hit the target as his ground pull went narrowly outside the post. He was on target soon after when he deftly doubled on a sweet ball in over the bar to open the Durlas Óg account. It was all Durlas Óg pressure now and Collins struck wide again with the posts at his mercy. Arthur Geronimo did point however to narrow the margin midway through the half. The next five minutes saw four wides and two sixty fives for Durlas Óg such was their pressure. That pressure had by then gained reward when Ben Murphy gave a lovely hand pass to Peter Wall who duly netted to put Durlas Óg a point ahead with six minutes of the half remaining. Gaels though had other ideas and as they circled the wagons McGuire and Thomas Grimes came out of the posse to notch up late points to put Gaels ahead by one at the break, 1-03 to 1-02.

Chris Munroe started the second half well for Thurles Gaels as they cranked up the gears, where Durlas Óg had goalie Aaron Mulcaire to thank as he pulled off a fine save from Alan Heaney. Durlas Óg stood up manfully and took the game to Gaels and were justly rewarded when Joe Dwan found the net in the sixth minute to put them back in front. That was the sting in the tail Gaels needed as they set about their task with gusto, with McGuire and McCormack now pulling the strings again. Munroe should have pointed when fed by McCormack to narrow the gap to one soon after, but he did make amends with an excellent point from midfield on twelve minutes. McGuire then netted his second having been fed by McCormack as Gaels turned the screw. Ronan then hit a point before Mulcaire smartly blocked his attempt at a hat trick, but as the ball spilled Jack Murphy was following up and made no mistake in hitting the net.

In a frantic finish both sides threw everything into it to claim the title. With two minutes on the clock remaining Joe Dwan got his second goal for Durlas Óg striking off his left from close play in the Gaels goalmouth. With a goal between them Durlas Óg surged on again, it was batten down the hatches time for Thurles Gaels who had the whiff of victory in their nostrils. And as the Durlas Óg tide swept forward in search of parity Chris Buckley kept the Gaels heads above water as he pulled off a great stop from Rory Fogarty in the dying moments to earn a famous victory for Thurles Gaels.

As mentioned already, this Gaels victory was built on great work by chief architects on the day Ronan McGuire and Lauren McCormack with Chris Munroe and Joey Dee supplying sterling assistance.

Durlas Óg tried extremely hard and never gave up the battle with Ben Murphy, Arthur Geronimo, Joe Dwan and Sean Collins all prominent with many others playing fine supporting roles.

It was Lauren McCormack then who received the cup from Joe O’Sullivan, Mid Bórd na nÓg Chairman to ecstatic joy from Thurles Gaels supporters.

*To see photos from the day and of the county quarter and semi-finals click here*

Thurles Gaels: Chris Buckley, Joey Dee, Paudie O’Gorman, Dylan Molumby, Shane Ryan, Ronan McGuire 2-02 (01f), Lauren McCormack (C) 01, Chris Munroe 0-1, Jack Murphy 1-00, Brian O’Halloran, Alan Heaney, Dominic Shaughnessy, Thomas Grimes 0-1, Ayrton Ryan-Casey, Mark Murphy,  Luke Brearton, Conor Butler, Zoe Lanphier.

Durlas Óg: Aaron Mulcaire, Stephen Dorney, Jack O’Dwyer, Cillian Donaghy, Cathal Hayes, Patrick Scully, Ben Murphy (C), Arthur Geronimo 0-1, Joe Dwan 2-00, Sean Collins 0-1, Peter Wall 1-00, Jamie Donovan, Rory Fogarty, Shaun Kennedy.

Referee: Edward Costello (Drom-Inch)

Doran Oil Ltd

Premier U12 Football Group 3
Moycarkey-Borris (B) 4-02 Thurles Gaels 2-02

 The second match in Boherlahan, the Doran Oil sponsored group 3 final was a thriller where Moycarkey-Borris were pushed all the way by a determined Thurles Gaels side.
Moycarkey settled quicker and following intense pressure on the Gaels defence were 2-01 up after four minutes with Tom Ryan and Aidan Scott hitting the net in the second and third minute respectively. Scott in particular was having a fine outing early on.

Thurles Gaels soon found their own rhythm as Ronan McGuire and Lauren McCormack asserted themselves. They made the breakthrough on fourteen minutes as McGuire first had his shot at goal blocked by Bill Maher between the sticks, McCormack followed up and was also denied, before McGuire made no mistake on the third attempt to find the net which would leave the half time score reading 2-01 to 1-00 in favour of Moycarkey-Borris.
Three minutes into the second half and there was only a point between them as Alan Heaney netted for Gaels following up on good work by Mark Murphy. The Moycarkey response was swift as John Coffey lobbed over a point to settle the nerves. McGuire again very strong in the second period kicked over a point to leave the minimum between them once more.

The game turned on thirteen minutes as a free from Eamon Martin for Moycarkey dipped at the last moment to deceive the Gaels rear-guard and found the roof of the net to give his side the cushion they required. Gaels responded with a point from Joey Dee and with only a goal between them and five minutes left Gaels laid siege on the Moycarkey goal. The ‘Borris defence was superb however and weathered the storm led by McGuire and his charges. As Moycarkey worked the ball downfield Peter Melbourne who was having a super game wrong footed the Gaels keeper as he found the net in the closing minutes to seal a hard earned victory.
Seamus Doran, competition sponsor was on hand with Mid Bord na nÓg Chairman, Joe O’Sullivan to present the cup to winning captain Pat Hackett.
Moycarkey-Borris; Bill Maher, Michael O’Donnell, Dylan Shaw, Pat Hackett (C), Kevin Hayes, Bill Hackett, Eamon Martin (1-00), Peter Melbourne (1-00), Brian O’Callaghan, Aidan Scott (1-01), Ciarán Kirwan, Subs; Tom Ryan (1-00), John Coffey (01), Liam McDonagh, Shane Bourke.

Thurles Gaels; Thomas Grimes, Joey Dee (01), Paudie O’Gorman (C), Dylan Molumby, Shane Ryan, Ronan McGuire (1-01), Lauren McCormack, Chris Munroe, Taylor O’Meara, Dominic Shaughnessy, Ayrton Ryan Casey, Subs; Jack Murphy, Chris Buckley, Alan Heaney (1-00), Mark Murphy, Shane Turner, Zoe Lanphier, Brian O’Halloran, Oscar Lipinski, Luke Brearton.
Referee; P.J. Nolan (Killea)

12 May 2012