U14 Finals match reports

Thurles Gaels Capture First Ever County Title

County U14 C Football Final
Thurles Gaels 6-09 St. Patrick’s 4-09

Thurles Gaels secured their first County Juvenile title after a titanic battle with St Patrick’s which needed extra time to separate the two sides. The club have only been in existence for nine years, great credit to these young history making Gaels.

This did not look likely after the first few minutes of the game which saw St Pat’s run into an early lead with points from Frank Meagher and Conor Duggan followed by goals in quick succession by Michael O’Brien and Conor Duggan. As the game progressed, Gaels settled down with a point from play and a free from Aaron Delaney with goals in the space of a few minutes from captain Brian O’Halloran and Ronan McGuire. Play ebbed from end to end with both sides adding a goal and a point before half time. The Gaels scores courtesy of Ronan McGuire and St Pat’s goal scored by Michael O’Brien and a point from Dale Murphy.

After the break, Gaels seemed to take control with a goal and a point from Aaron Delaney and a point from Ronan McGuire. St Pat’s were not giving up without a fight, with points from Eoin Ryan and Dale Murphy and a free from Conor Duggan.  After Gary Delaney had given everything in goals, Thomas Grimes was called on and both played crucial roles. This was a rip roaring, heart stopping, bodies on the line game. The noise was deafening as Ronan McGuire added two to put us four points up. Somehow St. Patrick’s found a way as time ran out Conor Duggan scored a goal and a point to take the match into extra time.

Taking the slight wind advantage that was there, Gaels really took off in extra time with a goaled penalty from Aaron Delaney followed by a free and two points from play from the brilliant Ronan McGuire to leave them 5 points ahead at the break of extra time. In the second half St Pat’s tried hard but could not break down the Gaels defense only adding two points to their tally courtesy of Conor Duggan and Eoin Ryan while Gaels added another goal through midfielder Thomas Stokes. The final whistle was greeted by jubilant Gaels supporters and captain Brian O’Halloran accepted the trophy on their behalf. Final Score was Thurles Gaels 6-9 to St Pat’s 4-9.

Thurles Gaels:- Garry Delaney, Jack Murphy, Taylor O’Meara, Chris Munroe, Shane Ryan, Oscar Lipinski, Kevin Patan, Thomas Stokes, Aaron Delaney, Ronan McGuire, Brian O’Halloran, Mark Murphy and Martin O’Reilly. Subs: Joey Dee, Paudi O’Gorman, Reece Carroll.

St Pat’s: Michael Ryan, Jack Meagher, Patrick Griffin, James Horan, Sean Ryan, Darragh Hall, Dale Murphy, Conor Duggan, Pauric O’Brien, Eoin Ryan, Frank Meagher, Adam Cuddihy and Michael O’Brien. Subs: James Fitzgerald, Quinn Moran, Eoghan Fitzgerald and Keith Morrissey

Referee: Tadgh Lonergan (Kilsheelan-Kilcash)

14 Jun 2014                                                                         Report by Neil Ryan, PRO County Coiste na nÓg.


Murphy Office Supplies U14C Mid Football Final
Thurles Gaels 5-12 Upperchurch-Drombane 2-01

In excellent conditions accompanied by warm sunshine Thurles Gaels and Upperchurch-Drombane contested this year’s final in Littleton last Saturday afternoon with victory going Gaels way after a dominating performance. With a keen and friendly rivalry built up over the past few years both sides took to the field in the hope of adding a second divisional title to their C.V. for the year so far and with that in mind the game took off in a lively tempo.
Gaels were first off the mark when the impressive Ronan McGuire opened his account with a point in the third minute. The ‘Church response was swift as they worked the ball well down the field with Keith Ryan supplying the killer pass to Micheál McLoughlin who netted from close range to put his side in front. Ryan followed up with a point from a free a minute later, the ‘Church comfortable it seemed. Nip and tuck then for a while before Gaels sprang to life when Thomas Stokes kicked over an excellent point following a good solo down the right. Almost immediately they were back in front when a dangerous ball in from McGuire found the bottom left hand corner of the Upperchurch net and with that the pendulum swung. Kevin Patan added a second goal for Gaels who ended the half now the comfortable side, 2-05 to 1-01 ahead.
The Upperchurch lads found themselves under great pressure from the off in the second half and had Patrick Clancy and net minder Darragh Bourke to thank for keeping the score stable in the opening minutes. However, yield they eventually had to as McGuire tormented them, hitting 1-03 in a four minute spell. With Patan, Shane Ryan, Aaron Delaney and Thomas Stokes all excelling in the own right for Thurles Gaels they, with McGuire, made it a difficult afternoon for the ‘Church lads whose defence in particular were also under attack. But standing up manfully to it Joey O’Donoghue and Patrick Purcell tried gallantly with their comrades already mentioned to gain firm foothold. Credit to Gaels who brought McGuire ashore in the twelfth minute of the half as they used the bench for experience, Martin Reilly certainly one to shine kicking 1-01 after Luke Shanahan had netted for Upperchurch late in the game. The final honour lay for Gaels captain Brian O’Halloran to hit the net in the dying second’s after he took over the mantle of playmaker following McGuire’s earlier withdrawal.
Coiste na nÓg Chairman Joe O’Sullivan after thanking both teams for a fine sporting game then presented the cup to the aforementioned winning captain Brian O’Halloran much to the huge delight of his teammates and supporters.

Thurles Gaels; Gary Delaney, Jack Murphy, Joey Dee, Chris Munroe, Shane Ryan, Oscar Lipinski, Aaron Delaney, Kevin Patan 1-00, Thomas Stokes 01, Ronan McGuire 2-08 (03f), Dylan Molumby, Thomas Grimes, Brian O’Halloran (C) 1-01, Subs; Taylor O’Meara, Martin Reilly 1-01, Reece Carroll 01, Mark Murphy, James Butler, also; Paudi O’Gorman, Aaron Dunne, Dominic O’Shaughnessy, Adam Daly, James Butler.
Darragh Bourke, Patrick Purcell, Tom Purcell, Joey O’Donoghue, Patrick Clancy, James Griffin, A.J. Shanahan, Luke Shanahan 1-00, Oisin Treacy, Keith Ryan 01f, Jack Harty (C), Padraig Ryan, .Micheal McLoughlin 1-00, Subs used; Conor McLoughlin, Eoin Bourke, also; Patrick Bourke.
Referee; Michael Heffernan (Moycarkey-Borris).

17 May 2014       Report by Joe Bracken Mid PRO


Doran Oil U14C Mid Hurling Final
Moycarkey-Borris (b) 1-07 Thurles Gaels 1-05


In what was arguably the best U14C final for many a year, Moycarkey-Borris and Thurles Gaels produced a terrific final in the Doran Oil sponsored championship in Littleton last Saturday, with the home side just about shading it on the day despite the tenacious display from the Thurles lads.
This was a game that had everything; passion, heart and skill, where the amount of blocking, shouldering and tackles made all accounted for a superb afternoon’s entertainment.
Into the wind Gaels were straight into attack with Ronan McGuire opening the scoring with a point in the second minute. Almost immediately his through ball found Brian O’Halloran who smartly turned his marker and hit the net from close range. Moycarkey responded with two wides before Aidan Scott got his side on the board with a delightful point from out on the right. Minutes later the excellent Daniel Brown put over a placed ball before Scott got his second. Gaels fought back and though Alan Heaney tried hard he saw a brace of efforts go wide of the posts either side of a point from O’Halloran who shot over from an acute angle. Gaels were pressing hard through Aaron Delaney and Heaney but the Moycarkey backs were equal to the challenge with Seán Mockler growing in stature as the game progressed as were Pat and Bill Hackett, with Michael O’Donnell doing efficient work in the corner. However, up front Brown was pulling the strings and was orchestrating the ‘Borris attack to good effect, narrowing the score to one with another free from out on the sideline.
Henry Fogarty working beaverishly up front for Gaels was rewarded with a point as he put his side two ahead on sixteen minutes. As each side raised the intensity Brown and Mockler for Moycarkey and Delaney and Shane Ryan for Gaels were central to each sides play. Brown it was who gained parity with points from play and a free to leave it a tremendous battle for the last five minutes of the half as the impetus swung either way without a score to show for it, half time score then reading Moycarkey 06 Gaels 1-03.
The second half began where the first left off but crucially for Moycarkey it was they who got the all important scores. John Coffey sprang into life in the second half and opened the scoring with a point after five minutes. Three minutes later Brown hit the back of the Gaels net with a sweet ground strike to the bottom left hand corner, his side four clear. The half was ten minutes old when McGuire worked well infield from the sideline to put three between them with a point from play. And when Delaney put over a placed ball on twelve minutes it was only two between them now and as much time left to go. Amazing as it seems that was to be the last score of the match as the Moycarkey defence led by Mockler, the Hackett’s further out soaked up an enormous amount of ball as Gaels put their every ounce of effort into attack. Brown and Coffey were trying their utmost as well to try and get scores but Gaels were quelling everything now too.
Gaels did have their chances but Ciarán Kirwan kept his line brilliantly intact in the second period denying almost certain goals from Heaney and Chris Munroe.
The wide count in the latter stages would prove to be the Gaels achilles heel as they shot seven to Moycarkey’s one, Moycarkey holding out to win by two in the end.
In the presentation ceremony, Seamus Doran of Doran Oil, together with his brother David were on hand with Joe O’Sullivan, Mid Coiste na nÓg Chairman, to present the cup to winning captain Bill Hackett much to the delight of his sides faithful supporters.
Moycarkey-Borris; Ciarán Kirwan, Michael O’Donnell, Brendan Looby, Michael Maher, Brian O’Callaghan, Seán Mockler, Pat Hackett, Bill Hackett (C), John Coffey 01, Daniel Brown 1-04 (03f), Tom Maher, Aidan Scott 02, Shane Bourke, Subs; Dylan Shaw, Ben O’Dwyer, also, Liam McDonagh, Diarmuid Maher, Jack Morrissey.
Thurles Gaels; Paudie O’Gorman, Martin Reilly, Chris Munroe, Shane Ryan (C), Jack Murphy, Aaron Delaney 01f, Kevin Patan, Oscar Lipinski, Alan Heaney, Dylan Molumby, Ronan McGuire 02, Brian O’Halloran 1-01, Henry Fogarty 01, Subs used; Thomas Grimes, Thomas Stokes, David McCormack, also, Neil Holland, Mark Murphy, Gary Delaney, Taylor O’Meara, James Butler, Dominic O’Shaughnessy.


Referee; P.J. Nolan (Killea).

16 Aug 2014


Murphy Office Systems U14C Mid Football Final

Thurles Gaels 5-11 Moyne/Templetouhy 0-04

A second win in three years for Thurles Gaels in this grade as they overcame a gallant Moyne/Templetouhy side in glorious Gortnahoe on Monday evening last and they now seek to go a step further and reach the clubs first county final.

The Gaels had Darragh Ryan to thank for the first score of the game with a goal inside two minutes and Cormac Lanigan added a point almost immediately. After both sides kicked wides, the Moyne boys found their form and with points from Mark Ryan and Dean Morrissey, they were right back in the match. However, Jake Moore had a pair of points inside a minute to stretch the lead again. Diarmuid Leahy had a point from play for Moyne/Templetouhy but this was quickly cancelled out by the very industrious Darragh Ryan. Four minutes to half time Niall Moloney was brought down while bearing in on the Moyne goal. Referee Eddie Costello had no hesitation in awarding a penalty which Dylan McKay finished to the net leaving the interval score 2-04 to 0-03.
McKay and Moore had the early points of the second half before James Bracken scored the Gaels third goal after a good piece of fielding and strongly holding off his marker to find the net. David Lowe responded with a pointed free for Moyne/Templetouhy but Gaels captain Jake Moore popped up again with two more points quickly followed with points from McKay and Niall Moloney. With four minutes left Thurles Gaels were awarded another penalty, same taker same result, a goal for Dylan McKay. Next Sean Connors’ shot deceived the Moyne keeper for goal number five before Brendan Callanan completed the scoring with the final point of the match.

Joe Kennedy, Mid Bord na nOg Chairman in the company of sponsor Paul Murphy presented the cup to Thurles Gaels captain Jake Moore.Thurles Gaels strength up the middle was a telling factor and with Darragh Ryan, Dylan McKay, Cormac Lanigan dominating they had good support from Jake Moore, James Bracken, Paddy Dunican and Niall Moloney. Moyne/Templetouhy had heart in abundance and their spirit never waned throughout the match. They had excellent performances from Jack Dunne and David Lowe, with fine showings from Mark Ryan, Darren Ryan , Dean Morrissey, Diarmuid Leahy and Eoin Gorman.

Thurles Gaels; John Brett, Paddy Dunican, Jack Quinlan, Aaron Hennessy, Gavin Gleeson, Cormac Lanigan 0-01, Gary Dunne, Gary English, Darragh Ryan 1-01, Dylan McKay 2-02 (2-00 pen) Jack O’Dwyer, Darren Maguire, Jake Moore (C) 0-05, Liam Meaney, James Bracken 1-00, Substitutes; Sean Connors 1-00, Niall Moloney 0-01, Brendan Callanan 0-01, Peter McNamara, Shane Dunne, Evan O’Gorman.
Moyne/Templetouhy; Padraig Troy, Philip Geehan, Mark Dunne, Chris Lawlor, Eoin Gorman, Sean Moloney, Steven Troy, David Lowe 0-01 (01f), Dean Morrissey 0-01, Colm Ryan, Jack Dunne, Mark Ryan 0-01, Tomas Foy, David Walsh, Darren Ryan, Substitutes; Pierce Maher, Diarmuid Leahy 0-01, Lee Tierney, Jamie Morrissey.

Referee; Eddie Costello. Drom/Inch.                  Match Report By Joe Bracken Mid PRO 


Doran Oil U14C Mid Hurling Final

 Moyne/Templetuohy 3-08 Thurles Gaels 3-03


It was “double” joy for Moyne/Templetuohy in Templemore last Monday evening after they defeated Thurles Gaels in the Doran Oil U14C hurling final to add to their U12C crown won recently. The result was never in doubt once Moyne established a firm grip on proceedings; though a late revival by Thurles Gaels raised the tension they had left it too late to alter the outcome.

In a quite enough opening half Moyne were two points to the good after eight minutes with scores by Jamie Morrissey and Colm Ryan. Damien Cantwell was in the thick of it soon after when he was brought down inside the large parallelogram; referee Tom McGrath signalled a penalty which was blocked and cleared out for a ’65 by Cormac Lanigan. Minutes later a long ball into the Gaels goalmouth was batted out by Jake Moore and despite his best efforts Colm Ryan was following up and finished the ball to the net. Darragh Ryan scored a point from play to give Thurles Gaels their opening score on eighteen minutes. Dean Morrissey opened his account for Moyne/Templetuohy with a free minutes before the break to leave half time score 1-03 to 0-01.

Though Thurles Gaels started the second half brightly it was Moyne/Templetuohy who pressed home their advantage notching up 1-04 without reply inside nine minutes. Sean Moloney pointed three frees with Colm Ryan contributing handsomely, a second goal and a point.

Not to be outdone Cormac Lanigan responded with a goal and a point also, inside two minutes to instil belief in his side. However, nine minutes were to pass without a score from either side before Gary Dunne scored the first of his two late goals for Thurles Gaels either side a point from his colleague Dylan McKay and a goal and a point from Dean Morrissey for Moyne, his goal the pick of the night after a great solo effort.

Delight all round for the Moyne/Templetouhy camp on another success with excellent performances from Colm Ryan, Jamie Morrissey, Dean Morrissey, Sean Moloney and Padraig Troy among others contributing throughout the match.
Thurles Gaels in search of their first hurling title sought to make it a “double” too, to add to their earlier football title this season but came up short in the end, though Cormac Lanigan battled hard throughout along with the best efforts of Jake Moore, Darragh Ryan, Gary English, James Bracken and late on Gary Dunne.

Mid Bord na nOg Chairman, Joe Kennedy presented the cup to winning captain Jack Dunne in the company of Seamus Doran, of Doran Oil sponsor.

Moyne/Templetuohy; Padraig Troy, Jack Dunne, Mark Dunne (c), Eoin Gorman, Sean Moloney (0-03f), Chris Lawlor, David Lowe, David Walsh, Diarmuid Leahy, Dean Morrissey(1-02, 02f), Jamie Morrissey (0-01), Damien Cantwell, Colm Ryan (2-02), Subs; Philip Geehan, Mark Ryan, Stephen Troy, Thomas Foy, Darren Ryan, Lee Tierney.

Thurles Gaels; Jake Moore; Aaron Hennessy, Brendan Callanan, Paddy Dunican, Cormac Lanigan (1-01), Jack Quinlan, Gary English, Dylan McKay (0-01), Niall Moloney, Darragh Ryan (0-01), Gary Dunne (2-00) James Bracken, John Brett, Subs; Liam Meaney, Peter McNamara, Sean Connors, James O’Halloran, Evan O’Gorman, Jack O’Dwyer.

Referee; Tom McGrath, Loughmore/Castleiney.                   Match Report Joe Bracken, Mid PRO